Thursday, June 26, 2008

expect canned goods (and mourn my tomato plant)

While I had begun the process of staking most of my tomatoes in the last couple of days, there was one large one that I missed-- and apparently the wind took notice. I came home to find my tomato plant (one of the large ones that was already producing) broken in many places, and while I've now staked it and tied it up (with a little bit of Sharon's yarn-- sorry, but it's soft, so it won't hurt them, and he had to be tied immediately and there was nothing else with which to tie him) in a fashion that holds it all together so that it can heal, I'm really not sure that it's going to make it. There are no pictures, mind you, as it's all terribly upsetting. I will need to go today to get more stakes.

The others I got to before the wind set in-- but somehow I missed one.

One of the guys at work has tomato and tomatillo plants that he's giving away, and of course I volunteered to take some home. This, mind you, means that I'll now have five Brandywine tomato plants (it's an Amish heirloom variety) that I'll have acquired at absolutely no cost when I didn't even intend to grow this variety at all. It's a good variety though-- very pink, very good for storing. Not the best sauce tomato in the world, but I have other varieties for that.

No comments: