Tuesday, June 24, 2008

not enough time

While I have started this entry with the intent to pick up on all the things that I missed yesterday, I really don't have time, as more important details about how my garden is lacking have come to light. After following the link on Lily's comment, I found that I'm not the only crazy soul desperately pursuing a rooftop garden. Yesterday, we established that all of Cuba is doing this, but that's another story entirely. This site has reminded me of the importance of getting things in the ground and doing it in a manner that's actually timely, and I will spend a chunk of tonight planting little lettuce seeds in the top of my inverted tomato planter so that I can have a full, bountiful harvest throughout the summer.

The old piano bench also needs to be filled with soil, but I'm waiting to borrow a drill so that it can drain properly.

My seedlings are likely affected by a lack of heat, so I'll take them inside until they start coming up and stick a heat lamp on them. Stupid northern California.

More tomatoes need transplanting, but I'm waiting for a reimbursement from work so that I can get more soil (and more of those nifty biodegradable pots!). You remember that cute little pear-shaped tomato that I mentioned yesterday? That's him to the right! Seeing this photo also reminds me-- I have another tomato plant that needs to be staked.

Some of my ornamentals need to be trimmed and others need to be investigated for pests (I think my cosmos have aphids, although all of my preventative measures seem to have kept them from my tomatoes), and I can start working on that tonight, but some will have to wait until tomorrow.

A local business has a desk they've giving away that I think would be perfect for the porch (for window boxes and also for keeping gardening supplies out of the elements), but it's a matter of deciding whether or not I want to make the effort to not only get it to my place but also somehow manage to get it onto the roof.

So many things to do-- if only the rest of life would stop interfering with my gardening!

No comments: